The Core Count Period for the Wetland Bird Survey (WeBS) is September through to March. But, I’m delighted to say that most of our volunteer WeBS counters in East Glamorgan clearly enjoy taking part in this survey so much that they continue to visit their sites during the rest of the year too!
Naturally, the Spring and Summer months are a quieter time in terms of the number of wetland birds recorded, but there’s always something to see and all data are a valuable contribution to this important survey.
WeBS is about counting, once a month, the numbers of wetland birds present at a site. Counters aren’t specifically asked to record breeding evidence. However, many do add notes on breeding birds seen during each count.
The highlight of the June WeBS counts in East Glamorgan was undoubtedly the breeding record of Tufted Duck at Michaleston-le-Pit Salmon Leaps (Mike & Chris Dunn). On average, we only have breeding records from 3 or 4 sites a year in our recording area.
Other breeding records
The following species were recorded breeding at the following locations:
- Canada Goose: Caerphilly Castle Moat; Kenfig NNR; Parc Slip.
- Coot: Caerphilly Castle Moat; Clydach Vale CP; Cors Crychydd Reen; Parc Slip.
- Great Crested Grebe: Caerphilly Castle Moat.
- Mallard: Caerphilly Castle Moat: Clydach Vale CP; Cors Crychydd Reen; Lisvane reservoir; Michalestone-le-Pit Salmon Leaps; Parc Slip.
- Moorhen: Cors Crychydd Reen.
- Mute Swan: Caerphilly Castle Moat; Cors Crychydd Reen.
- Grey Wagtail: Caerphilly Castle Moat.
Dippers were recorded at both Taf Bargoed Lakes and on the River Taff between Radyr Weir and Llandaff. A Mediterranean Gull was at Ogmore Estuary, where there was a whiff of Autumn in the air with the return of both Curlew & Redshank. 2 male Pochard recorded at Lisvane Reservoir also suggests that ‘Summer’ is over – did it really begin?!
Many thanks to all our WeBS counters for contributing to the survey. Your efforts are really appreciated. If you’re new to bird surveying WeBS is an excellent place to start. Please get in touch if you’d like to volunteer or for a no-obligation chat.