International Golden Plover Survey
There will be a coordinated census of Golden Plovers across Europe this weekend of 11-12 October, repeating comparable surveys carried out in 2008 and 2003.
The majority of Golden Plover are concentrated in northwest Europe in October, making it the best time to assess the population. As in 2008, the BTO will be collating all counts of Golden Plover within the framework of an International Wader Study Group project.
In our region, Sker Point near Porthcawl is a good spot to see Golden Plover flocks, with upto 140 seen at high tide in recent weeks. This weekend, high tide is at 08:49am on Saturday and 09:24am on Sunday. Elsewhere, flocks can sometimes be seen congregating on hill tops such as Cefn Eglwysilan, Mynydd y Glyn and Werfa.
Volunteers are encouraged to submit counts of Golden Plover (and Lapwing) into BirdTrack over the weekend.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to email (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)